Charlotte Area Transit System / General Services
MOW Traction Power Substation Battery Replacement
Posting Number 2023-Q2(Apr-Jun)-CATS-10779
Anticipated Posting Date 2023-04-05
Commodity Code(s): 55900, 94000
The CATS LYNX Light Rail system maintains 26 traction power substations that provide 750VDC overhead power to the Blue Line Alignment. Each of these locations require a stand-by battery system to that is designed to power critical control circuits for up to 8 hours in the event of a utility power failure.
Each bank consists of 10 Marathon M12V90 AGM sealed lead-acid batteries, now obsolete, replaced by the CSB HRL12330W. There are 12 locations where the batteries have been in service past the 5-year recommended replacement interval.
The scope of work will be to replace 120 batteries of comparable type (insert new battery info here or above) and perform preventive maintenance and inspection of each battery charger in Traction Power Substations 3,5,7,9, 12-17, 18 and 20.
1. Isolation of the battery bank from the TPSS
2. Disconnection and removal of the existing batteries from the rack
3. Inspection of the existing hardware for defects and correcting any deficiencies
4. Installing the new batteries
5. Torquing all fasteners to the appropriate values
6. Perform battery charger preventive maintenance and inspection
6. Verify and document in-service voltage and ampacity of each cell and the complete bank
7. Restore all TPSS control power equipment to its original configuration and verifying proper operation
8. Removal and proper disposal of the old batteries.
The contractor will be required to have all employees working on the project successfully complete a
Roadway Worker Protection (RWPP) course which will be provided by CATS free of charge. MOW will
provide access to the work locations and escort contract personnel while they are in the performance of
PSR # 1335
Automobile-For automobile operations liability
General Liability-For bodily injury or property damage, arising from products, premises, completed work, personal & advertising injury
Workers Compensation-For lost wages and medical expenses of injured workers
$10,000 - 49,999
One Time Purchase